Wednesday 5 March 2014

I HEART DRUGSTORE MAKEUP TAG


This is a really old tag but I thought it would be good to do and pay homage to the great drugstore make up out there.  Drugstore makeup is good clean fun, for me it means I can try out the latest trends in the beauty world without paying the earth, and suffering from buyers remorse
when it doesn't work for me.  Its a great feeling for me when I discover a drugstore alternative to a highend product that I prefer more than the expensive version (more on that later).  With me however I normally have already forked out the standard €40 for the highend product before I discover the highstreet alternative I like better!  So enough rambling here are the tag questions.

1.  What is your favourite drugstore makeup brand overall?

For a first question this is really difficult!  After much deliberation, I've worked out that I can achieve a complete face of makeup with Bourjois.  Different brands have strengths in different areas.  I love Rimmel too, but their foundations never entice me.  I'm thinking of trying out their new matte BB cream.  A highstreet dupe for the Jouer matte moisture tint maybe?  Watch this space.


2.  What are your favourite  face, cheek, eye and lip products?

For face (I'm thinking as in base?!) L'Oreal True Match foundation, cheeks would have to be Sleek blushes for the variety of shades and finishes.  Eye (shadow I'm going with here?) would be Maybelline Colour Tattoos.  Lips go to Soap & Glory.  They do a great lipstick (that smells like Mac ones yay!) and a chubby-stick-esque lip crayons.



3.  Least favourite product?

No 7 Beautifully Matte Makeup base (€13.75).  It did not work for me at all.  When I was applying this it felt sticky but I persevered.  Then when I tried to apply my Laura Mercier Silk Cream foundation the primer gathered into little balls and peeled off taking my beloved foundation with it.  What a waste of expensive foundation.  I tried with another foundation, and got the same results.  I swiftly passed it on.  Yuck.

4.  What is the best makeup bargin?

Everyone probably says this but the Collection Lasting Perfection concealer (€6.49).



5.  What is your favourite underdog product? (Something great that often gets overlooked?)

Rimmel nail polishes are great for the price.  They have a great colour range with lots of different finishes.  They also change up their shades regularly and do some great dupes of the more expensive brands best selling shades.  

6.  A drugstore product that is overpriced?   

Bourjois products can be pretty expensive.  Their foundations come to about €17 which is too expensive in my opinion.  L'Oreal foundation is expensive too, coming in at around €16.  Revlon lip crayons are expensive at €11.20, the Clinique originals are €20.  I normally wait until the more expensive drugstore brands are on offer to pick them up.  I feel drugstore makeup should be around the €10 - €15 mark or else it just doesn't feel like drugstore does it?



7.  Show your best drugstore dupe(s).

Rimmels Loafer love for you nail polish for Nails Inc Beyonce blue.
NYX blush in Taupe for Kevin Aucoin Sculpting powder.
Sleek Matte me for the Hourglass Opaque rouge liquid lipsticks
Bourjois Rice powder for Hourglass Ambient lighting powder
Maybelline Colour tatoos in black and taupe for Mac Paint pots
Maybelline Eyestudio lasting drama gel eyeliner 24h for Bobbi Brown Long wear gel eyeliner

8.  Drugstore product that isn't worth the hype?

Maybelline Baby Lips.  I can not understand the hype around these.  They are glorified Vaseline sticks as far as I can see.  Try harder Maybelline.



What are you favourite drugstore items?  Are their any hidden gems you've found?  Is there an amazing dupe that I'm missing out on?  Let me know in the comments below.  If you disagree with any of my choices feel free to put me straight!  Hope everyone is having a lovely day out there x x 


No comments:

Post a Comment